Saturday 6 September 2014

Fat Fatty


 

                My reaction whenever someone called me fat. (Mini heart attack I tell you)

Did you just Title this, Fat Fatty??? *mini heart attack.* That right there was me, a few years ago. Each time someone called me fat. I felt faint, knees turned to jelly,  had several mini heart attacks. I won't even lie, it is too exhausting. That guy up there has it too easy. I reacted way worse, in that moment I always felt a bout of diarrhea coming on. All because some one went and called me Fat. I can laugh about it today, but there was a time in my life when calling me fat made me cry.

Fast forward to today, my friends call me Phatie, my twitter handle is @iphatie ( do not be shy, follow me), My Facebook is Kihembo Doreen Phatie (I just had to throw this in as well, do friend me). My blog is called iphatie for those of you who missed that small fact. How did I get here? How did I get from the girl that would almost shit her pants because someone called her fat, to this other person who lets people call her Fat Phatie? I  also smile and wave when people on the streets of Kampala call me Straka. A few years ago, I would have hurt somebody for calling me Straka. How did this happen?

Let me give you some advice, bastard: Never
forget what you are. The rest of the world will
not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be
used to hurt you.”
“Once you’ve accepted your flaws, no one can
use them against you.”
“Would you rather be called the Imp? Let them
see that their words can cut you, and you’ll
never be free of the mockery. If they want to
give you a name, take it, make it your own.
Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore.” -
Tyrion, Game of Thrones


The Imp took those words right out of my mouth. I swear, I was thinking the exact same thing. "If they want to give you a name, take it , make it your own. Then they can't hurt you with it anymore." 

 So the world is a cruel place, Did you know that Fat shaming is actually a real thing. There was an entire Facebook page that was dedicated solely to shaming Fatties. People have a lot of time though. The things you will find on the internet. There is a fork that zaps you when you eat too much just so you won't get fat. Talk about the crappy things people are so busy inventing, yet we still need a cure for cancer. Fat is not the worst thing you can call me. I wish people on the plus side got that. Fat is not the worst thing some one can call you. This is a lesson I will make sure my kids learn. I already know they will be Fatties, it's all in the genes. I do not cringe, piss or shit my pants when someone calls me Fat because  Fat is not a Flaw, Fat is not ugly, it ain't something I need to cover up disguise or camouflage.

I realised a long time ago that the only way I was ever going to be happy, was not by losing a few pounds, dressing better or being insanely rich Though I wish I was insanely rich. The only way I was ever going to be happy was being comfortable in my own skin, embracing and loving the body I had fearlessly and unapologetically.

Go ahead Fat shame me, Heck force feed me with that fork that will zap me each time. I will continue to love me fearlessly and unapologetically. I just can not say it enough. My body ain't wrong. Your body ain't wrong, all our bodies ain't wrong.

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I think you will love this one too http://fromcurveswithlove.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post!!! I feel empowered by any other woman who takes her own power...

    ReplyDelete