Friday 17 October 2014

The Rat Race



                  " The Rat race is an endless, self-defeating, or pointless pursuit. "
               

           
                                                            The Rat Race is real y'all.

 
Before my graduation, I knew I was in for a ride. I needed to be prepared, so I went and read every single thing I could find on life after graduation. You will not believe the number of open letters people have written to themselves, about the things they wish they knew at the time of their graduation. One year and two jobs later, I believe nothing will prepare you for this wild ride. Nothing will prepare you for leaving the safety that is formal education. After graduation, life gets real and nothing will prepare you for that. I love lists so here are the lessons I have learned one year and two jobs later. I have done so much in the last year so here are the life truths I have taken away from all of it.

   #1
Work can be horrifying.  I did not lead with this to frighten you. I am just putting it out there, work can be very horrifying. There will be days when you just want to get hit by a bus, days when you just do not want to get out of bed. Days when you would rather curl up and cry than go to work. Days when you sit and think to yourself, is this even worth it? I am not an insecure person, but the most insecure I have ever been about my abilities has been this past year. Some days I just feel so spent that all I want to do is marry rich and never have to work another day in my life. Days like this pass, they do not last forever. I get through them by reminding myself that work is beyond wonderful. Some days the rats in this rat race are winning. If you do not believe me refer to lesson two below.


#2
Work can be beyond wonderful.  Work is wonderfully fulfilling. It can be that amazing adrenaline rush. Some days work is this exhilarating thing that shocks you and allows you to change the lives of the people around you. It is days like this that make me believe that one can win in this rat race. Days like this are the reason I have not yet gone on millionaire match maker to find myself a rich man. Days like this, where my work is making a difference, are the reason I still go to work. Find something you love and work won't seem so horrifying.

#3
A solid support system will keep you sane and grounded. Can I please have a slow clap for all the loyal family and friends who always got my back. A huge shout out to my bad bishes. Everyone needs a solid support system in order to make it out of this rat race alive. No matter how busy you get , make time for family and friends because when shit hits the fan and shit will hit the fan regularly, you will need your family and friends. My first job had me sleeping all day then working the night shift. I was working weekends as well so that did not leave me enough time to spend with my family and friends. When shit eventually hit the fan at this job (told y'all shit will always hit the fan), my family and friends were there to pick up the pieces with me. They were all there to offer me support and great counsel. 

#4
If you stir the shit pot, you should be ready to lick the spoon.  Do not start any trouble because there will be consequences. Do not run your mouth. No one can stand a Miss Know-It-All. Keep calm and stay in your lane. Don't go burning bridges because this world is so small.

#5
I swear to God, working for 25 minutes straight then taking a five minute break works. I swear by it. I used to be the queen of procrastination till I read about it on the internet. Look at how Google went and changed my life.

#6
Slow down.  Don't be too hard on yourself. It is okay not to have everything figured out right now. I have had numerous panic attacks from constantly telling myself that I am getting left behind. Sometimes I think to myself, people my age are changing the world and my life is still on pause. I realized that the only way I was going to survive this rat race, was if I took it one day at a time.

#7
Focus is everything. Focus, focus, focus. Focus is so important I had to say it thrice.  Focus is the  concentration of attention or energy on something. Starting out in the work world, I was convinced that I could do it all, that I could be every woman. I was even throwing around words like "I want to be a triple threat" It slowly dawned on me that I could do everything but doing everything would be so much easier if I concentrated my efforts on one thing at a time.  I went on a job interview recently. The interviewer has such an amazing poker face. He would make bucket loads of money playing poker, damn. I walked out of that room and I knew that the job was mine. Heck I even picked out an outfit for my first day of work. Cocky much? I did not get the job but I learned a lot from this interview. No one has ever stressed the importance of focus the way this interviewer did. He taught me that focus is everything.


                                                          Focus, Focus, Focus

#8
Stay hydrated. 

#9
Stay focused, refer to lesson number seven up there. Focus and then when you feel like you have focused enough, focus some more.

#10
Attention to detail is very important. If that is not your special talent, Google has got your back. I am sure there is a lesson plan on there on how to be the type of person who pays attention to the details.

#11
People can be very unappreciative. I have learned how to pat myself on the back and move on swiftly whenever this happens.

#12
If you have no idea how to do something just ask for help. It will save you time, it will save you from standing at the photocopier for twenty minutes and making 50 copies yet you were only trying to make that one copy that your boss asked for. Face palm.

   
              That is what you get when you mess up, after feeling like too much of a ninja to ask.


#13
Live and let God. It has been a long year. One year and two jobs later, the hugest lesson I have learned is to Live and Let God.




No comments:

Post a Comment